Basic Attention Token (BAT) - Ethereum blockchain-based advertising
Basic Attention Token radically improves the efficiency of digital advertising by creating a new unit of exchange between publishers, advertisers and users. It all happens on the Ethereum blockchain.
The value of the token is based on user attention, which simply means a person’s focused mental engagement.
The existing digital advertising marketplace injures key stakeholders. The introduction of BAT allows publishers, advertisers, and users to connect in a more efficient, transparent and decentralized marketplace that
reduces fraud, privacy violations, and malvertisements while increasing publisher revenue.
BATs are based on user attention, which is really just focused mental engagement. BATs will be made available for crowdsale in the near future.
The advertising ecosystem started out as a marketplace where publishers, advertisers, and users were the main actors, but it is now overrun by “middleman” ad exchanges, complicated behavioral and cross-device user tracking, and opaque cross-party sharing through data management platforms.
This has translated into advertisers facing poor reporting and targeting, and publishers losing billions in revenue — while fraud has skyrocketed. Users have lost their privacy, face increasing malware risks, pay high charges to download trackers and ads, and suffer slow speeds. This has driven the adoption of ad blocking software, which is now on over 600 million mobile devices and desktops.
A few key numbers tell the story of today’s broken digital advertising landscape:
- Over the last 12 years, publishers have lost approximately 66% of their revenue.
- In 2016, ad fraud created by Internet bots cost advertisers $7.2 billion, up from $6.3 billion in 2015.
- Up to 50% of the average user’s mobile data is used for ads and trackers, costing up to $23 a month.
- Users face slow page loads and as much as 21% less battery life.
- Google and Facebook, which together claim 73% of digital ad revenue and 99% of all growth, are exacerbating the crisis.
Presently, publishers are paid by monetizing attention via a complex network of intermediary players through ad networks and other such tools. With the onslaught of parasitic actors, publishers are getting very little revenue.
A new system is needed to properly value user attention. It must reward and protect the user, while giving better conversion to advertisers and higher yield to publishers.
Fairness, anonymity, and impact using proven blockchain technology
In the new blockchain-based digital advertising platform, users will opt in to receive advertising. If they do, their attention will be privately monitored on-device in the Brave browser, without tracking. Publishers will be rewarded accordingly with BATs — tokens of exchange in a secure, private, and anonymous advertising system based in the browser and the mobile app webview. Users will also get a share of BATs for participating.
By keeping the data on the device, encrypting the data, and shielding the identities of our users as a core principle, BAT forms a bond with users that proves that not only does their data hold value, it holds substantial value that has been ignored and exploited by the middlemen year after year in the current industry model.
In sum, the BAT system provides the following benefits to:
- Users: strong privacy and security when viewing advertisements, improved relevance and performance, and a share of tokens.
- Publishers: improved revenue, better reporting, and less fraud.
- Advertisers: less expensive customer attention, less fraud, and better attribution.
Anonymous machine learning for relevance; open source for transparency
In early stages, the BAT will be specifically tied to Brave browsers and Brave servers, along with verified publishers. Ad fraud will be reduced by publication of all source code for auditing, and by cryptographically secure transactions. Publisher payment will be through the BAT system.
The BAT exchange will be rolled out in phases over the coming months:
- Pre-1.0 BAT: Brave already has an anonymized ledger system for making donations and payments to publishers based on user attention. The secure vault using the ANONIZE algorithm to ensure customer privacy is an important piece of the BAT ecosystem which is already in place and deployed in Brave. Brave is already measuring user attention at the browser and distributing donations to the publishers using this system.
- 1.0 BAT: BAT wallet integrated with the Brave browser. Verification and transactions to be handled by Brave’s internal Zero Knowledge Proof (ZKP) ledger system to protect individual user anonymity from advertisers, publishers and third parties. Ad inventory will be valued, and transactions will be calculated from reported Basic Attention Metric (BAM) data.
- Beyond 1.0 BAT: Make the transfer and verification process entirely distributed on Ethereum using a state channel scheme with zero knowledge proof protocol for ensuring user privacy. Add alternate BAM metrics based on advertiser feedback. This will allow for full user privacy as well as a decentralized audit trail for advertisers, users and publishers to ensure they received correct payments for the advertising delivered through the BAT network.
The Basic Attention Token is uniquely positioned to reform the ad-tech ecosystem because it is the ability to privately monitor and anonymously confirm user intent at the browser level which allows for the development of rich metrics for user attention. Attention is measured as viewed for content and ads only in the browser’s active tab in real time. The Attention Value for the ad will be calculated based on incremental duration and pixels in view in proportion to relevant content, prior to any direct engagement with the ad. We will define further anonymous cost-per-action models as the system develops.
For placement, Ads will be matched with user interests using local machine learning algorithms to judge the content to which the user is paying attention, in the context of tabs, viewability, and many other variables not available to remote trackers. This matching will be done privately, on the device only, without any signal out. This means fewer, but more relevant and valuable ads. Several scoring algorithms have been tried with the Brave donation ledger system, which automatically donates an amount proportional to the attention given to a website.
As Brave moves to a fully decentralized micropayment system, we expect other developers to use our free and open source infrastructure to develop their own use cases for BAT. We want BAT and the tools associated with it to become widely adopted web standards for future development of web content, solving the important problem of monetizing publisher content while protecting user privacy. Publishers, advertisers and users who view web content deserve a private, secure and well engineered future.
Blockchain Digital Advertising.
Introducing a decentralized, transparent digital ad exchange based on Ethereum Blockchain.
How It Works
The Brave browser anonymously monitors user attention, then rewards publishers accordingly with BATs.
Attention is measured as viewed for content and ads only in the browser’s active tab in real time. The Attention Value for the ad will be calculated based on incremental duration and pixels in view in proportion to relevant content, prior to any direct engagement with the ad. We will define further anonymous cost-per-action models as the system develops.
Ads are then anonymously matched with customer interests using local machine learning algorithms. This means less irrelevant ads.
Who Gets What?
Users viewing ads will be rewarded with BATs. BATs can be used for premium content or services on the Brave platform.
Publishers will receive the lion’s
share of the total ad revenue spend. We anticipate the users will also
donate back some tokens to the publishers, increasing their revenue.
Brave will work with publishers and advertisers to establish best practices for judging user attention. One potential metric: the number of total views of advertising content for a certain number of seconds. Or, points assigned on the length of a view.
More Privacy, Less Fraud
Users’ privacy is protected through the use of the ANONIZE algorithm. And ad fraud will be prevented or reduced by publication of source code and cryptographically secure transactions.
Parts of the Solution are Code Complete
Much of the infrastructure required to deploy BAT at the back end is “code complete,” meaning it’s currently in place and being used to distribute donations to publishers based on customer attention. This code will be leveraged to deploy BAT as soon as possible.
Token launch FAQ:
What does BAT stand for and what is it?
Basic Attention Token. The BAT, a token based on the Ethereum technology, is a unit of exhange in a new Blockchain based digital advertising system. User attention is privately monitored in the Brave browser and publishers are rewarded accordingly with BATs. Users also get a share of BATs for participating.
What is the total BAT supply and initial distribution?
We will provide an answer soon.
When does the Crowdsale hapen?
We will provide an answer soon.
What crypto-currencies are accepted in the crowdsale?
We will provide an answer soon.
What is the price of BAT?
We will provide an answer soon.
How can I participate?
We will provide an answer soon.
What do BATs represent?
BATs are tokens in a new Blockchain-based digital advertising platform. They are not refundable, nor are they securities or for speculation. There is no promise of future performance. There is no suggestion or promise that BAT has or will hold a particular value. BATs no rights in the company and do not represent participation in the company. BAT tokens are sold as a functional good. Any value received by company may be spent without conditions. BATs are meant only for experts in cryptographic tokens and blockchain-based software systems.
How will Brave use ETH raised during token launch?
The ETH received in the crowdsale will by used by Brave Software to build out the Blockchain-based digital advertising system, which uses BATs as a unit of exchange. Existing Brave investors will not receive any amount of ETH.
How will Brave store the funds?
Brave is using a secure multisig wallet design similar to those used by Gnosis and Golem to hold the ETH.
Are BAT tokens transferable?
After tokens have been released to participants in the token launch, then they can be transferred. Tokens used in the Browser may only be donated or used to pay publishers for premium content or for other services. Tokens may also be used by publishers for promotions.
If you want donate me here the address :
Announcing the Targeted Amount of the Upcoming Sale of Basic Attention Tokens
Today, we are announcing the amount, distribution and use of funds for the upcoming Basic Attention Token (BAT) sale.
In the upcoming BAT crowdsale, we are targeting a raise of as much as $15 million and a cap of 1 billion tokens. We do not plan to have a follow-on offering.
As we near the sale, we will provide specific instructions on how to participate, including how you will need to send Ethereum (ETH) to a smart contract at an address that we will disclose.
In the crowdsale, we plan to distribute tokens in the following proportion:
- Tokens available for crowdsale: 70>#/li###
- The BAT team: 20>#/li###
- User growth pool: 10>#/li###
The token distribution covers the phased release of software previously described in the white paper. The first phase involves the roll-out of a new browser, Brave, a fast, open source, privacy-focused browser that blocks ads and trackers, and contains an opt-in ledger system that measures user attention — without violating privacy — to accurately reward publishers. The next phase involves the introduction of BAT, which will be used to compensate publishers for user attention, or focused mental engagement.
Part of the token distribution will be given to Brave browser users to incentivize them to join the new blockchain-based system. A certain number of users will receive BATs for downloading the Brave browser. Users will be able to spend these tokens for regular or premium content, or they can donate them back to their favorite publishers.
The bulk of the Ethereum raised during the crowdsale (the 70%) will be used to fund the development and growth of the BAT ecosystem, which includes the Ethereum-based smart contract system and the Brave browser. It is important to note that the Brave browser is just one platform for BAT and our goal is to lay the foundation so that other developers can build other apps in the BAT ecosystem. The vision is that BAT will be used across the web to reward producers for great content in new and innovative ways.
Here is a more detailed breakdown of how we plan to spend the funds we raise:
- BAT Team 58% of budget: The team consists of just over 20 engineers. This financing allows for the rollout of the BAT solution, including the necessary adjustments to and development of the existing Brave browser technology.
- Administration 10% of budget:Consists of BAT legal, security, accounting and other associated administration costs.
- Marketing 12% of budget:Marketing will focus on expanding awareness and adoption of the Brave browser and the BAT solution among users, publishers and advertisers. This also includes the growth and maintenance of the world-wide community.
- Contractors 13% of budget: These funds will be directed at third-party providers offering engineering, marketing, growth-hacking, PR, partnerships, affiliate programs and more.
- Contingency 7% of budget: This is a set-aside to plan for unforeseen costs.
We’ll be sharing the date and time of the crowdsale soon, but meanwhile, to remain notified of the latest updates, please sign up for our newsletter via ourhomepage if you have not done so already. We welcome your feedback, so if you have any, please reach out to us on Twitter, Slack or Reddit.
Basic Attention Token - BAT Sale Overview and How to Participate
We are providing a summation of the Basic Attention Token sale details along with instructions on how to participate.
- We are raising ETH equivalent of $24 million with the token sale
- A cap of 1.5 billion tokens is targeted. The distribution at the cap level is as follows:
Tokens for token sale: 1 billion
User growth pool: 300 million
BAT development pool: 200 million
- The token sale code can be found here.
- Symbol: BAT
- ETH to BAT exchange rate: To be published when contract is deployed on mainnet approximately 2 days before the sale.
- Type of token: ERC20 token
- Time to receive BAT: As soon as you send ETH to the contract address with the correct parameters you will receive BAT.
- Transferability: Tokens are transferable as soon as they are in your possession. There is no lockup period except for the tokens issued to the BAT development pool.
Token sale start time
- The BAT sale will start on May 31, 2017, at approximately 8 am PDT / 3 pm GMT / 11 pm CT-China.
- The token sale will start at a particular block number and we will share this when we deploy the smart contract to mainnet.
How to participate
Purchasing BAT requires an existing Ethereum Wallet. Your Ethereum wallet balance must be high enough to cover the cost of your desired BAT purchase plus the small, associated transaction fees.
Ethereum wallets can be created and managed using several methods.
Popular methods include using a Mist Wallet or MyEtherWallet to participate in the tokens sales. Instructions on how to participate can be found here:
Buyers based in China may use imToken. We offer it only as an option and are not recommending it over any other available method.
A few things to be aware of when participating in the token sale:
- Do not send ETH before the starting blocknumber or the transaction will be rejected.
- Only send Ether to the smart contract address specified on the basicattentiontoken.org website.
- Ether sent after the close of sale will be rejected and refunded.
If you need assistance during the sale or if you have any questions before the sale, please reach out to us on Slack or through our WeChat groups by contacting Crypto_Community.
To facilitate the participation process in the token sale, we’ve published a version of the BAT sale to the ropsten testnet. While the parameters of the actually deployed token sale will be different, this should allow people to examine how the workflow functions with their setup. You can follow along with the PDF. Make sure your software is pointed towards ropsten; if you send real ETH to this address, you will lose your ETH!
Please find the testnet token link at: https://basicattentiontoken.org/token/
Again, please do NOT use real ETH with the testnet. You will lose your real ETH and there is no way to recover it.
Basic Attention Token - BAT Smart Contract Deployed
We are pleased to announce that the BAT smart contract is available on the Ethereum mainnet.
The sale of BAT will begin at the time that mining commences on Ethereum block 3,798,640 and continue until the time that 156,250 Ether has been received or mining commences on Ethereum block 3,963,480, whichever is earlier. This is the “sale period.”
Based on current Ethereum block mining times, we estimate that Ethereum block 3,798,640 will be mined on or about 8:00 am PDT on May 31, 2017, and that Ethereum block 3,963,480 will be mined on or about 30 days thereafter. For the avoidance of doubt, these estimates are provided for informational purposes only, and the sale period will commence and conclude strictly according to the block based definition above.
Token sale address: (please agree to ourTerms and Conditions to receive the token sale address.)
Ethereum Start Block Number:3,798,640 (Do not send before the start block.)
Transaction data fields must read:0xb4427263
The exchange rate is 1 ETH to 6,400 BAT.
By participating in this token sale, you agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Basic Attention Token Pricing the BAT
By Scott Locklin
We received substantial feedback on the exchange rate for the BAT sale. We appreciate the questions we received and thought some background would help explain our approach. We strive for transparency and hope to clear up misunderstandings.
As everyone knows, USD/ETH prices have grown more volatile. When we first contemplated this project, the USD/ETH prices were relatively stable. For quite sometime, they hovered at around $10/ETH. We assumed people would be pleased with the simplicity of a fixed exchange rate. As ETH grew more volatile, we knew this would become challenging. However, we didn’t receive any strong feedback on the fixed exchange rate in our published contracts.
As such, we maintained the same approach as the sale date neared. We gauged the volatility as we attempted to find a price that remained in line with the goals we had outlined. In the days before the exchange rate decision was made, the average trade price looked close to $153.
The exchange rate decision was made May 28 in the late evening. We considered the last 3 days of prices to try to reach the target price on the token sale day (approximately 2.5 days from May 28 evening).
Various members of the team looked at prices over the decision period, and I looked at the poloniex charts, which are fortunately still available here:
Tether isn’t the best USD proxy, so we’ll scale it up by the 2% premium it trades at.
This is the chart we were looking at:
If you look at the volume weighted field in that time range, it certainly looked pretty close to $153.6. The actual mean value (scaled up by the 2% tether premium) was $159.2.
This was our best guess at the moment we made the pricing decision on pricing.
We would have liked to get this exactly right, but I suppose if we could predict crypto-currency prices at 3 days out, we’d be in a different line of business.
It is also important to remember that we may not be able to access our token sale proceeds until approximately June 29. The mean value of ETH is $109 during the 30 days prior to our decision. One could argue that the price may be going up for various reasons, but these are post-facto arguments.
The best interests of the company and the token holders remain aligned. A strong base allows the BAT to establish itself across the web as a new standard in a transparent and efficient blockchain-based digital advertising platform. The opportunity for all involved, e.g., users, publishers, advertisers, etc., is substantial.
In the end, we made some hard decisions. Do we wait for the volatility to reduce? Is there a more optimal exchange mechanism beyond a rate fixed at deploy time? There is good debate to be had on these issues. But, ultimately, people have to make their own decisions as to where to allocate their ETH and whether to purchase BAT.
May 30, 2017
Basic Attention Token - BAT Sale Finishes Quickly
The BAT sale commenced today at approximately 7:30 AM PDT and quickly reached the cap of 156,250 ETH.
We look forward to developing the BAT to its fullest extent to enable a new blockchain-based digital advertising platform. Publishers, advertisers, and users all stand to benefit from a user-centric platform that supports web content. Some of this functionality is already prototyped in the Brave browser, using bitcoin and allowing users to opt-in to automated micro-donations to websites and account owners.
We are especially excited about the 300 million BATs available in the user growth pool. This resource will be used to incentivize users to join the platform, benefiting publishers and helping to ensure the success of the project.
We thank all interested parties. We appreciate your confidence in the BAT and we will provide additional updates in the coming days.
Basic Attention Token (BAT): A Natural Way to Contribute to Publishers
The last few years have been increasingly rocky for publishers. They face growing ad blocking adoption, increasing fraud rates, and diminishing returns as Facebook and Google reportedly take 99% of all new digital ad revenue.
This is driving some companies to offer alternative sources of revenue to publishers. Google is rebooting Contributor, a micro-donation service that was discontinued in January 2016. Patreon doubled since last year to 1 million patrons and 50,000 creators. In 2016, Brave introduced anonymous Bitcoin micropayments to publishers. Brave is now planning to integrate the Basic Attention Token (BAT) as the foundation of a new, blockchain-based digital advertising platform.
The range of alternative contribution methods make this an exciting time in the evolution toward a better web.
Google’s Contributor allows users to purchase a monthly pass that replaces ads with microdonations for participating publishers. Ad replacement is a key feature, and as such, exploring Contributor may offer a preview of Google’s vision for replacing ad revenue.
News of both of these Google releases was too exciting to pass up, so we gave Google Contributor a test drive.
Google Contributor Test Drive
Registration and setup
- Users begin the process here: https://contributor.google.com/v/marketing
- The Contributor pass begins with a $5.00 payment.
- Users select sites from participating publishers to replace ads with micropayments.
- Micropayments are deducted from the $5.00 payment for each page view.
- Rates per page vary from publisher-to-publisher. For example, Business Insider UK charges $0.04 for each page view, while other publishers charge $0.01. The majority of publishers tested charge $0.01 per page view.
- Contributor only works when the user is signed into the Google account used for registration.
We ran through several Contributor publishers: Business Insider UK, Popular Mechanics, Twitchy and WWG.
We observed mixed results, with ads displaying on Business Insider UK and Twitchy, but not on Popular Mechanics and WWG.
On Business Insider UK, the large horizontal and small rectangular above-the-fold display ads no longer showed up with Contributor enabled. However, we did observe Taboola ads mid-fold, and Sailthru ads below-the-fold.
On Twitchy.com, we consistently observed ads displaying above and below-the-fold on the homepage and article pages.
Twitchy.com, above-the-fold Twitchy.com, below-the-fold
This was surprising because the Contributor service advertises that the micropayments replace the ads.
The network traffic appears to show that Contributor doesn’t block any of the Google ad and tracking requests for Business Insider UK or Twitchy.com.
- The Google Publisher Tag (GPT) ad tag library was successfully requested.
- The GPT ad request was sent and received by the ad server.
- DoubleClick Campaign Manager (DCM) requests were made, including a partner request to Krux.
- While the DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP) ad server did not send a creative response for the ad request, tracking cookies were set by the request.
- It’s important to note that none of these ad and tracking requests were blocked.
A closer look at ad-related sources reveals many additional 3rd party ad and tracking requests were established:
The 3rd party ad and tracking requests were also made on Popular Mechanics and WWG.Popular Mechanics
- The Contributor service is not really “blocking” ad or tracking requests.
- Despite paying for ads to be replaced with microdonations, Taboola, Sailthru and other common 3rd party display ads were observed on two of the four publisher domains tested.
- With Contributor not blocking ad and tracking requests, Google and 3rd parties continue to collect user data for profiling, re-targeting and other purposes.
- Contributor appears to be largely cosmetic, continuing to allow significant ad displays.
The Brave Approach
The Brave Payments ledger allows users to support publishers with anonymous contributions as they browse. It was introduced in 2016 and is currently available in the desktop browser as an option. User privacy and anonymity are a priority. Ads and trackers are blocked by default, thereby cutting off malvertising threats flowing through ad exchanges.
- Brave Payments uses a technology called Anonize, which utilizes a special branch of “Zero Knowledge Proof” cryptography for anonymous-but-accountable transactions.
- Users can apply additional customization to their contributions as they choose, “or can simply let Brave browser code (only on your device, no server tracking) handle the distributions.
- Users can pin sites to include them in Brave Payments as they browse, setting specific amounts for each.
- Any publisher can receive contributions, they simply need to complete a verification process to receive the anonymous contributions.
- Thanks to encryption in the browser, Brave’s servers never see user data in the clear. Anonize protects against donation lists becoming fingerprints.
The Basic Attention Token (BAT) provides a natural fit for supporting publishers, as the purpose of the token is to attribute value to attention. The BAT Platform will absorb the Brave Payments ledger, which will migrate from Bitcoin micropayments to BAT microdonations in the near future. The BAT Platform will also introduce new features and settings, paving the way for an exciting and broad range of potential applications. The BAT also includes users by granting BATs from the user growth pool, and rewards BATs for their attention. The BAT will let users support sites via anonymous token-donation automation. Initially, the BAT Platform will be integrated within the Brave browser. Long-term, we intend for BAT to be utilized in other apps and browser extensions.
The Differences Matter
- Google Contributor and Brave Payments provide two very different approaches to publisher contributions.
- Google Contributor removes some ads — but not all — while allowing for Google’s DoubleClick and other 3rd party ad and tracking requests to collect user data.
- Brave blocks ads and 3rd party tracking requests by default, preventing those parties from collecting user data from those requests. Brave Payments and the imminent BAT Platform allow users to anonymously contribute to publishers that they choose to support. Users do not log into Brave servers, and Brave cannot see or collect user data thanks to cryptographic protocols.
Both options are new, and are alternatives to the current free-for-all of digital advertising. The choice for users is stark: one option, Google Contributor, continues data tracking at the expense of user privacy, data plan, and battery life. The other option, Brave, gives users control of their data and privacy without compromises. The introduction of the BAT will also reward users for their attention with a revenue share per ad impression or action.
Basic Attention Token (BAT) Roadmap 1.0
by Brendan Eich
I co-founded Mozilla and wrote its technology roadmaps back when we were rebooting the Netscape-contributed browser code via open source. Here’s the first one. This one from 2003, by David Hyatt and me, charted the direct course to Firefox.
These documents set direction and listed goals and requirements. Equally important, they renounced non-goals and listed what was off the agenda. For the BAT platform, any tracking or targeting from remote ad servers or exchanges is excluded by construction.
The map is not the terrain, so each roadmap ages past a point of usefulness and becomes a relic. I expect the same to happen with the BAT project’s roadmaps. This roadmap is likely to cover the next year to 18 months.
The BAT sale provides the development team with enough resources to complete the platform work we started last fall using bitcoin in the “Brave Payments [beta]” experimental automated micro-donation system already in Brave. We intend to use the funds as follows:
- Recruit and retain Ethereum, machine learning, devops, project management, ad sales, UX design, and more browser development people, to build out the BAT platform in the stages outlined below.
- As the BAT platform develops and gets integrated with Brave, evangelize other attention-economy apps, from browsers to games and beyond, to join an organization we will endow to promote user-first, private, and anonymous ads, donations, micro-paywall-piercing “link gifting”, and other token-based premium products, and share the BAT among apps other than Brave. We aim to make this a non-profit.
- Create a source of seed funding, with exact structure to be determined, to sponsor entrepreneurs to create new BAT apps. This may take the form of an independently judged prize system in which apps must follow the endpoint software rules and on-chain smart contracts prototyped by the development team (1) and codified by the member organization (2).
- Fund greater user growth of Brave and other BAT apps by rewarding users who choose to opt into the BAT platform, to get to greater scale sooner with the brands and agencies buying user-private ad slots, and (where publishers partner with us) ad slots on pages. Growth requires promotion and distribution above organic rate and scale, so we will fund it with some of the sale proceeds.
The BAT platform work must be staged to fit modern “agile”/non-waterfall software development methods. In particular, it must fit Brave’s six-week chromium update cycle and the finer-grained milestone release structure that we use to manage scope creep and increase predictability.
The program of work outlined in this roadmap uses code-names borrowed from the U.S. Space Program. Reforming the attention economy of ad-tech and payments may not be rocket science, but it is still ambitious. We need to manage scope creep at a larger scale than the Brave development cadence.
BAT Mercury (summer 2017)
- BAT wallet integrated into Brave
- Convert Brave Payments from bitcoin to BAT
- Extend Brave’s secret-key sync to include the Brave ledger and wallet
- Compile demand-side dashboard data into BAT ad and offer catalog that is downloaded and updated on-device; scraped and mock ads/offers with micro-BAT subsidized revenue
- Develop the on-device machine learning models that privately match catalogued ads and place them in user-private slots based on user intent signals, from search queries (you own your query log, Google does not) to surfing, to researching, to purchasing
- Design research and engineering development of user-private ad slot form factors
- Measure ad engagement and user satisfaction via Basic Attention Metric (BAM) system
- Extend the Brave Ledger ANONIZE ZKP-based proof protocol (Zero Knowledge Proof) to convey ad attributions and confirmations as well as transactions
BAT Gemini (fall 2017/winter 2018)
- KYC (humint + machine learning), rate, and flow control for anti-fraud
- User Growth Pool (UGP) grants to users who opt into the new model
- Further machine learning development and optimization
- Further demand-side dashboard to BAT ad/offer catalog work
- Ledger- and Ethereum-attested dashboard analytics for early publishers interested in BAT indirect ad partnership trials
- User-private ad trials with select agency and other demand-side/lead-gen partners
- One premier publisher partner to co-develop publisher-provided inventory system
- Revenue as soon as system performs as well as or better than status quo ad-tech
BAT Apollo (rest of 2018)
- Real ad revenue that scales with user growth; further UGP grants & growth hacks
- Donation flow fee revenue, smaller but scaled as far as possible via incentives to users who get BAT revenue from ads and want to give back to their pinned and top sites
- Major work to move from Brave Ledger confirmation and revenue flows to entirely decentralized on Ethereum flows using a state channel with ZKP for anonymity
- Evolved BAM options based on premium attention models — price discovery at high end
- Aggregated, large-anonymity-set reports and forecasts on the Ethereum blockchain, with competitive demand (advertiser) and supply (publisher) dashboards for performance measurement, optimization and sales planning
- BAT integration into other apps based on open source & specs for greater ad buying leverage and publisher on-boarding
Some of this work will happen ahead of the rough dates in parentheses above, enabling other work to happen sooner. Other work that’s hard to estimate right now may take longer. We will adjust the roadmap quarterly and build a new one when this one has fulfilled its purpose.
Much depends on our hiring quickly and well. With the right talent engaged and working well together, I am confident we can build and scale this system to have complete user control and much better economics than the failing ad-tech ecosystem upon which the Web relies today. Let’s build it together. We are all-open-source, and we are hiring.
Basic Attention Token (BAT) Community Managers
The BAT Team is excited to announce two new freelance community managers, Jennie Tibbles (@bat-jennie) and Stephen Bassan (@bat-stephen)!
Jennie and Stephen will be helping the team out with the following:
- Moderating and answering questions on Slack and Reddit
- Sharing important BAT updates
- Organizing community events
- Managing regional BAT groups and meetups
We’re happy to have Jennie and Stephen join the BAT Team to help us expand our efforts globally, from Canada to Australia for extra timezone-independent support.
Congrats, Jennie and Stephen!
Basic Attention Token BAT Update to Parity Multisig Wallet Attack
Today we made a full recovery of our User Growth Pool and reserve tokens, which had been appropriated and secured by the White Hat Group last week to mitigate the Parity multisig wallet critical vulnerability.
We’d like to thank the White Hat Group for its swift response and flawless execution. We are grateful for their intervention, which benefited numerous projects as well as the whole Ethereum ecosystem.
Our User Growth Pool is now at 0x7c31560552170CE96c4a7b018e93CDDC19dC61B6. We will assess whether we need to make any adjustments in the coming days; we’ll communicate about all necessary changes. Please check our #announcements channel in basicattentiontoken.rocket.chat for updates.
First Phase of the Basic Attention Token Platform Nears Rollout
Today we announce our launch plans for the first phase of the Basic Attention Token platform, code-named Mercury. The initial outline for Mercury was included in our roadmap announcement and the design concept is available on Github. BAT Mercury will be rolled out incrementally.
The Brave browser will be the first application on the BAT platform. The Brave browser currently allows users to make micro-contributions to publishers through the use of a Bitcoin wallet and ledger system. The launch of Mercury is targeted for mid-September and will include the replacement of the Bitcoin wallet integrated into the browser with a BAT wallet.
Browser User Onboarding (with in-browser BAT wallet creation)
BAT Mercury will utilize a portion of the 300 million BAT retained in the user growth pool. Users who enable BAT Mercury within the Brave browser will have their wallets automatically funded. At launch, the BAT wallet will be restricted from sending to addresses other than our settlement address; users will not be able to transfer BAT out of their in-browser wallet. The BAT flow in the browser will allow publishers to begin experimenting with reward models to spur patronage of their sites and services. A subsequent update will allow users to fund their BAT wallet similarly to how they are able to fund their Bitcoin wallet.
Another future update will give users the option of going through a “Know Your Customer” (KYC) process in order to gain full control over their BAT wallet, including the ability to transfer BAT out of the wallet.
Development of Basic Attention Metrics (BAMs), and In-Browser Analytics to View Measured Browsing Attention.
The BAT Mercury interface will appear familiar to users who have enabled the current Bitcoin-based Brave Payments beta. BAT Mercury features the granular fine-tuning contribution options and advanced settings from the current Bitcoin (but to be replaced with BAT) Brave Payments beta, including monthly publisher contributions that are either pro-rata or “pinned,” i.e., a pre-set amount.
There are two notable differences in the BAT Mercury interface:
- The monthly budget and account balance are now denominated in BAT.
- The purchase BAT button will remain inactive for the initial launch, as the BAT awarded from the user growth pool will initiate the one-way contribution flow at no cost to the user. However, with the multi-directional wallet update planned in later phases, the purchase BAT button will be reactivated
Browser Operations Related to User Contributions
BAT Mercury contribution algorithms will be retained from the Brave Payments beta. Measured attention from the active browser tab is distributed across the list of visited domains. Pinned contributions will be supported too, as in Brave Payments beta today.
Every 30 days the browser will attempt to send user contributions to the publishers. Anonymous BAT contributions will be automatically transferred from the user’s wallet to a contribution settlement account using Anonize2 Zero-Knowledge Proof protocols.
Aside from the denomination units being BAT, the contribution summary and statements for BAT Mercury are the same as in the Brave Payments beta.
Publisher Onboarding and Verification
The BAT Platform publisher onboarding and verification process will remain largely unchanged from the existing Brave solution. An interested publisher will perform two levels of verification:
- The publisher enters contact information, including an email address. They will then receive an email containing a validation URL. Since the URL contains a random secret, a visit by the publisher demonstrates that they can receive email at the address they provided.
- After visiting the validation URL, the publisher will be redirected to prove domain ownership. A publisher can either perform DNS validation by setting a TXT record or uploading a file to a specific address on their web site.
After verification, publishers will go through a slightly modified process to finish onboarding for BAT Mercury.
In the Brave Payments beta, the publisher entered a Bitcoin address to receive contributions, and completed a form indicating their US tax-filing status. This latter information was used for reporting compliance (Brave is required to file a 1099-MISC for US individuals and limited-liability corporations), and served as the “Know Your Customer” process for the publisher.
In BAT Mercury, instead of asking for a Bitcoin (or ETH) address the publisher is redirected to a third-party financial services platform:
The platform supports BAT, fiat currencies (such as USD, EUR, GBP, etc.), and other crypto currencies. The platform also provides US ACH and wire transfer services for fiat currencies. We have already reached agreement with the platform that will provide these services and will soon announce the details of this partnership.
BAT Mercury will offer automatic conversion of BAT and direct deposit of fiat currency into a publisher’s account. This allows us to offer a contribution settlement process that is more familiar to publishers, increasing the likelihood of adoption. As part of publisher onboarding by the platform, they will authorize the disclosure of the ETH address of the account and set their preferred fiat currency.
The BAT team will provide additional information as it becomes available. For the latest information, please track our #announcements channel in basicattentiontoken.rocket.chat.
Note: The term (and terms related to) “BAT Mercury” in this post’s text and screenshots are Brave Software International internal project names , not branded product names, and as such the nomenclature may change as the product matures. Consult the roadmap for a high-level description of all currently planned phases of BAT integration.
BAT Announces Expansion of Global Community and Calls for Regional Leaders
We’re pleased to announce a coordinated growth initiative to expand the reach and scale of the global Basic Attention Token community.
Jennie and Stephen, the BAT community managers we hired in early July, are leading the expansion.
Users make up the first side of the BAT triangle, and growing a strong global community of engaged users is vital. They are the publishers’ audience, but also provide feedback and spread the word as the BAT roadmap gets executed.
Using Regional FB BAT Pages for Growing Our Global Community
Facebook Pages are a natural starting point for growing our global community. They have a large user base and easy cross-profile sharing.
In this first phase, our community managers will make calls to action for regional volunteers to set up BAT Community Facebook Pages in their countries.
Our community managers will coordinate with these volunteers, providing a regional starter kit that includes graphics, information and other helpful resources to get their regional FB BAT community up and running.
From Volunteers to Regional BAT Community Leaders
Volunteers will become regional leaders for their BAT communities. These leaders will collaborate and brainstorm with their peers within https://basicattentiontoken.rocket.chat on efforts to help spread awareness and education about BAT in their regions.
Regional leaders will coordinate with their teams to write blogs, translate BAT materials and resources, organize meetups and test groups for trial phases in the BAT roadmap.
We’ve Already Started!
Over the past few weeks, we engaged with volunteers, and are pleased to announce our first set of regional BAT Facebook pages and leaders:
Official BAT FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/attentiontoken
BAT Regional FB Pages
BAT Australia: https://www.facebook.com/BATAustralia Regional Leader: bat-stephen
BAT Canada: https://www.facebook.com/BATCanada Regional Leader: bat-jennie
BAT China: https://facebook.com/Basicattentiontoken_china-116568548994126 Regional Leader: Zhongxing Jin
BAT Croatia: https://www.facebook.com/BATCroatia Regional Leader: Ivan Jelić
BAT Florida (Miami Beach): https://www.facebook.com/BATMiamiBeachFL Regional Leader: Jay Ortiz
BAT Indonesia: https://facebook.com/indobat Regional Leader: Viking Karwur
BAT Japan: https://www.facebook.com/Basic-Attention-Token-JAPAN-249882225520942/ Regional Leader: Suguru Hirahara
BAT Russia: https://www.facebook.com/RussiaBAT/ Regional Leader: Catherine Murza
BAT SF Bay Area: https://www.facebook.com/BATSanFrancisco Regional Leader: Tim Manibusan
BAT Southern California: https://www.facebook.com/BATSocal Regional Leader: Ali Athar
Help Us Grow the Global BAT Community
The gray icons in the map are areas where we’re looking to set up new regional groups. Of course, we are open to volunteers from any region willing to participate and help expand our global community. If you are interested, please join us at https://basicattentiontoken.rocket.chat and let us know in the #general channel.